Not that you needed an excuse, but here is one to get out this weekend…to eat. And maybe shop for lovely produce and artisanal products (I’ve still never really been able to figure that word out) blah blah blah. But really its the eating that should always be center stage.
Which brings me to Feria Masticar, the new Buenos Aires festival dedicated to food and cooking and organized by the Argentine gastronomy elite. Its happening this weekend !
Members of the group ACELGA (Asociación de Cocineros y Empresarios ligados a la Gastronomía Argentina and paradoxically sharing a name with a relatively unappetizing vegetable) have joined forces to create a weekend of
heaven on earth gastronomic delight including a market, food stands, cooking classes, and wine and possibly beer tastings. Even Narda Lepes (think young, hip Rachel Ray/Martha Stewart with an amazing BA grocery shopping guide) is going to be there teaching cooking classes.
The details that make me want to go NOW:
1. Narda Lepes, Francis Mallman, and Maru Bottana
2. One Stop Shopping: So many amazing products in one place at one time (L’epi bread, national sea salt, olive oil, micro greens…!!!)
3. A cocktail stand among the food stands brought to you by Bar 878!
4. Variety and reasonable prices at food stands, somewhere between $20-35 for meals (although who knows about sizes)
5. Wine tasting “tunnel” (anyone heard of Club Amerika’s touch tunnel? *shudder*)
6. Cooking classes and talks
At ARS $30 pesos this Feria is bound to be cheaper than a lunch out and, of course, is your activity for the day. Tack on a $25-35 peso sandwich and you’re still doing pretty well. Oh hell, how often to you get to go to a food festival for less than USD 6-4.50 (depending on exchange rate you work in) anyway? And if you were planning on paying that USD 60+ for the class to make empanadas and drink a glass of wine, please spare yourself. ITS NARDA LEPES FOR
fu… FOODS SAKE.
So be there. Period.
November 16, 17, 18
Friday & Saturday: 12 PM to 11 PM
Sunday: 12 PM to 10 PM